To participate, all you have to do is bombard every social networking site that you know of with information on women in computer science during the day of Nov 10, 2012. Including:
* Upload a picture of yourself with technology to Picasa
* Record a video blog and upload it to YouTube with the tag "picmecomp"
* Tag all of your tweets for the day with #picmecomp
* Blog about picmecomp and what it means to you
Our goal is to get the entire tech world to take over every social networking site on the same day (11-10-12) in solidarity of women in computer science. The first step to creating more female computer scientists is to introduce them to the craft while they're still in their formative years. That's why we're coming to them! We're going to introduce ourselves to them using a medium that they already frequent...The INTERNET!
Continue reading for details.
Prior to November 10, 2012
Help spread the word! Send the details out to your friends. Here's a quick blurb that you can copy in to emails.
Call to Action for All Supporters of Women in Computing!
Join our virtual flash mob at picturemeincomputing.org !
On November 10, hundreds of supporters of women working in technology-based professions will upload pictures of themselves with the tag #picmecomp to show women and girls all over the world how possible it is to realize a highly rewarding career in computing.
Pass word along via any technical venue you know of. Talk to your classmates and colleagues. Blog about it and send emails to every technical contact and corporation that you know. We want this event to be world wide and heavily covered!
You may want to make sure that you're prepared prior to 11-10-12. This includes having operational accounts at Google, YouTube, Picasa, Twitter and Facebook. If you decide that you want to post your images on Flickr, you'll need to make sure that you have uploaded at least 5 public images prior to 11-10-12.
Did you take a picture of yourself with technology and now you want to upload it to Picasa? It's quick and easy. Here are the steps.
- Go to http://picasaweb.google.com/home and click "Upload."
- Select the album where you want to upload your picture.
- Browse to the image you want to upload and click "Start Upload."
- Once the upload is finished, click on it and you'll be in the editing area.
- There's a title named "Tags" to the right. Click the little icon with the +.
- Enter picmecomp in the box that appears.
- Click "Add" or hit enter.
- You're done!
Easy-Peasy! That's all it takes for you to participate in the biggest virtual flash mob ever! Hope to hear from you on 11-10-12!